Lacrosse is a hard hitting, fast paced, awesome sport. Having the proper equipment can definitely give you an edge in todays hyper competitive environment where everyone is looking for a slight advantage. Conversely, having very old or poorly made equipment can inhibit your game and hold you back. You are obviously on the hunt for a new lax shaft, which has brought you here!
As a lacrosse player, the shaft of your stick is the direct connection between you and your game. As such, it should be a high quality piece of equipment that will support your skills depending on the type of position you play. Not everyone needs a top of the line shaft, but buying the cheapest shaft on the market likely isn’t on your radar either. We’ve worked to review a large selection of shafts to give you a great look at what’s on the market today!
Below, we review and discuss the highlights of some of the best lacrosse shafts on the market today. These shafts fit into different categories, and are for different positions, so make sure to read carefully before choosing which is the right one for you. By the end of this article, you should understand what makes an attack and defensive shaft different, and have some great options to choose from for your next shaft purchase.
Top Level Carbon Fiber Shaft
A super light yet strong carbon fiber shaft that features a low kick point for a wicked release – if you demand the best then you need the Carbon Pro 2.0!
In ECD’s own words – ‘Tailored for Playmakers’ This shaft his a high kickpoint for fast, accurate shots when you really need a goal. The ECD Carbon Pro 2.0 comes in a speed 30″ option for players with fast hands, and a power 30″ option for those who want a big booming shot. They even have a goalie option for tendies that demand the best in performance! And of course, a massive 60″ shaft for defenders! They have all areas covered with this shaft and it is a fantastic performer!
Featuring a traditional hex style shape – the Maverik Hyperlite Attack Shaft is a top performer if you need to score goals. A patent protected butt end (ABE+ system) with a silicon liner means you can really unleash the maximum amount of torque on your shots without worry of losing grip on the shaft. If you need to score goals – this is your shaft!
Best Lacrosse Shaft When You Want To Save Cash
Featuring awesome tech like an HD Resin shaft and advanced carbon layering, when you don’t want to splurge for a full carbon fiber shaft Epoch has you covered!
Epoch makes high and and budget friendly shafts, and the Epoch Dragonfly iD lands in the budget friendly category. Proudly made in the USA, the Epoch has lots of great features for an inexpensive stick, and has some great reviews to back it up! if you need to save some cash for other gear – Check this one out!
ECD Carbon Pro 2.0
Best Overall Lacrosse Shaft
A great product for a lower level of protection but a higher level of mobility is the Maverik MX shoulder pads
Maverik Hyperlite Attack Shaft
Best Lacrosse Shaft For Attack
The STX Cell 4 shoulder pads have everything from a lightweight and comfortable design to 25% more flexible, definitely one to check out
Epoch Dragonfly iD
Best Budget Friendly Lacrosse Shaft
Looking for a new pair of shoulder pads for your youth lacrosse player, these are the perfect combination of lightweight protection and mobility
- The Best Senior Lacrosse Shafts
- 1. ECD Carbon Pro 2.0 - Best Lacrosse Shaft For Middie
- 2. Maverik Hyperlite - Best Lacrosse Shaft For Attack
- 3. StringKing Metal 3 Pro - Best Lacrosse Shaft For Defense
- 4. Epoch Dragonfly iD Attack / Midfield - Best Budget Lacrosse Shaft
- 5. StringKing Composite Pro Goalie - Best Goalie Lacrosse Shaft
- 6. Warrior Burn Pro ATK Handle 19-Carbon - Best Lightweight Lacrosse Shaft
- 7. Bring King Swizz SC Defense Shaft - Best Budget Friendly Defense Lacrosse Shaft
- Things To Consider Before Buying Your Lacrosse Shafts
- Conclusion - Wrapping It All Up
Specifications and Features:
- High Kick Point: This shaft provides the player with a high kick point, which gives you a quick release when shooting or passing. This is ideal for midfielders or attackmen.
- Tailored for Speed: The design of the ECD Lacrosse Carbon Pro 2.0 Shaft is made specifically for speed, so it will never slow you down.
- Flex8: Flex8 is a technology that is incorporated into the shaft that improves the responsiveness of the stick.
- Advanced Materials: The ECD Lacrosse Carbon Pro 2.0 was designed from years of carbon fiber research, so it is made from highly advanced materials.
- Ultimate Strength: The carbon fiber construction makes this shaft strong and durable, so it can withstand the toughest games.
- 6 Month Warranty: The company provides a 6 month warranty for this shaft
- Rough Printing for Hand Grip: The area where your hands hold the stick has a rough sandpaper-like printing on it. This is meant to be a built-in hand grip for players, however, most players dislike the feel of it and prefer to tape the shaft themselves for a more customized fit.
Our choice for best overall lacrosse shaft is the ECD Lacrosse Carbon Pro 2.0 shaft. This shaft was designed for elite athletes who demand the best from their stick. The high kick point of this shaft gives you a quick, lightning fast release, while the Flex8 technology provides a snappy feel as well. These features combined allow you to rip shots and make accurate passes with ease all game long. When the going gets rough, the ECD Carbon Pro gets going – its carbon fiber construction gives it fantastic durability. As a bonus – The ECD company provides a six month warranty with this shaft, in case you run into any issues once you start using it!
Specifications and Features:
- Carbon Fiber Shaft: This shaft is made from carbon fiber, so it is strong and durable for long time use.
- Lightweight: The unique construction of this shaft makes this the lightest shaft ever made by the Maverik company.
- Zero Flex: The zero flex construction of the shaft gives the player snap and responsiveness during play.
- Traditional Shape: The Maverik Hyperlite 2021 Lacrosse Attack Shaft is made with a traditional shape so that it accommodates all types and styles of players.
- Matte Finish Grip: The included grip at the end of the shaft allows your hands to stay in place and keeps them comfortable throughout the game.
- Adjustable Butt End: The butt end of this shaft is able to be adjusted, so that you can customize your fit.
- Only Offered in One Length: This shaft is only offered in one length, 30”, so it may not be the best fit for all players. It does offer an adjustable butt end, but it does not make large adjustments.
The best lacrosse shaft for lacrosse attackmen is the Maverik Hyperlite 2021 Lacrosse Attack Shaft. This shaft was loaded with features specifically with attackmen in mind, so it is a great fit for anyone who’s job is to light the lamp. The 2021 model of the Maverik Hyperlite shaft is the lightest to date, and is the ultimate in precision and velocity. The carbon fiber shaft with a ‘Zero Flex Construction’ stays strong even in the most physical, while giving you ultimate feel and response. Included with the shaft is a comfortable and sturdy grip that you can use in all types of weather. This shaft is offered in one length only, but the butt end is adjustable for some customization.
Specifications and Features:
- Improved Alloy: The improved alloy material distributes strength more evenly throughout the shaft.
- Ultimate Durability: Years of warranty claims were analyzed to help StringKing improve upon construction and reinforce weak spots without adding any extra weight.
- Hollow Shaft: A hollow construction allows for strength without compromising weight.
- Precise Play: The construction and design of this shaft allow you to play with absolute precision, improving your speed and accuracy.
- Two Color Options: Two color options are offered for this shaft so that you can choose your preference or whichever matches your uniform best.
- 6 Month Warranty: The StringKing company offers a six month warranty on all their products, so you can rest assured that if something goes wrong, your shaft will be replaced in the six month period.
- Price: The StringKing Men’s Metal 3 Pro Defense Lacrosse Shaft is one of the most expensive shafts on our list at almost $200.
The StringKing Men’s Metal 3 Pro Defense Lacrosse Shaft is our choice for the best overall lacrosse shaft for defense. This shaft is made with a unique alloy specific to String King that is improved upon from previous models. The shaft has an even distribution of strength so that they are no weak spots. The hollow construction may seem counterproductive, but it has no negative affect on the shafts strength, but allows for some weight savings. The alloy is strong enough to hold shape while the hollow interior keeps the overall weight of the shaft down to a minimum. All these features work together to give you a shaft optimized for precise movements, allowing for speedy, accurate shots and passes. Two color options allow for some customization. A six month warranty from the company gives you the peace of mind you need to play as hard as you can without holding back!
Specifications and Features:
- HD Resin: This shaft goes through an advanced chemical surface treatment process that locks the fibers and the matrix resin together, creating a stronger surface.
- Carbon Layering: The advanced process of carbon layering includes layering low fiber aerial weight and unidirectional carbon fiber in order to control the performance of the shaft.
- Flex iQ: Flex iQ technology gives the stick bend when you want it, but retains its stiffness to give you control.
- No Slip Grip: The Epoch Dragonfly iD Lacrosse Shaft is coated in a gritty textured topcoat that provides the player with a consistent grip in any weather.
- Lightweight: The advanced materials and technology do not compromise the weight of this shaft. It is lightweight to allow for uninhibited play.
- Price: This is the most affordable shaft on our list, so it is great for those on a budget.
- Designed for Beginner Players: This shaft is great quality, but it was designed for beginner players. This means that it does not provide the same amount of precision and speed as many of the pro shafts do.
The best budget lacrosse shaft on the market today is the Epoch Dragonfly iD Attack/Midfield Lacrosse Shaft. If you are just starting out with lacrosse, or on a budget, this is a great shaft option for you. Although it is a fraction of the cost of most lacrosse shafts, it still boats lots of high quality features. This shaft goes through an HD Resin process that locks the resin and fibers on the surface together for strength. Additionally, carbon fiber layering keeps the weight of the stick low and the strength high. Flex iQ technology allows for precision flex in the shaft when needed, be it going top shelf or making a long bomb pass. Last, but not least, a gritty, textured top coat finishes the shaft for a non-slip grip to keep your hands in place through all playing environments.
Specifications and Features:
- Tapered Design: Smart taper technology distributes material evenly throughout the shaft, optimizing the shaft’s balance and increasing strength.
- Stiff Shaft: The ultra-stiff design gives you precision when shooting and passing with just the right amount of give.
- 162 Grams: At 162 grams, this shaft is the perfect balance between weight and strength for a goalie.
- High Quality Materials: The StringKing Composite Pro Goalie Lacrosse Shaft is made with the highest quality carbon fiber, as well as advanced manufacturing techniques.
- Impact Resistance: This shaft is designed to have extreme impact resistance to stop shots on goal.
- 6 Month Warranty: The StringKing company offers a six month warranty on all their products, keeping you covered in case something is wrong with the manufacturing of your product.
- Specialized for Goalies: This shaft is specially designed for goalies only, so it is not appropriate to use for defense, mid, or attack positions. If you are a player who switches between positions, this shaft is not for you. Not necessarily a negative for this shaft itself, just something to keep in mind!
For goalies, the StringKing Composite Pro Goalie Lacrosse Shaft is one of the best on the market today. The stiff shaft is made from the highest quality carbon fiber so you get the ultimate response with an amazingly light shaft. The carbon fiber material makes this shaft strong and durable so that it should last and prove to be a fantastic investment. The StringKing Composite Pro Goalie Lacrosse Shaft is designed with a tapered shaft so that materials are evenly distributed throughout and the shaft is perfectly balanced. This shaft weighs 162 grams, which is the a very decent number for a goalie shaft. This shaft is made with extra impact resistance as well. This means that, as a goalie, you can be confident that your shaft will protect your goal in any situation. As is customary for the StringKing company, a six month warranty comes with the purchase of this shaft. So you can play with confidence and know that your stick will be replaced should there be a manufacturing defect or issue in the first half a year of ownership.
Specifications and Features:
- 125 Grams: At 125 grams, the Burn Pro Attack Handle is super lightweight and easy to manipulate.
- Minimus Carbon: This shaft gets its light weight from being made with Minimus Carbon. This material gives the shaft strength without adding unnecessary weight.
- High Flex Shaft: The high flex shaft design allows for more power behind your shots and passes.
- Diamond Texture: A diamond texture coats the outside of the stick to improve grip without having to tape the handle.
- Two End Cap Possibilities: Two different end caps come with this shaft so that you can customize your feel: 1 Warp end cap and 1 Warrior end plug.
- Designed for Elite Player: Warrior has designed this shaft with the elite player in mind, so it has the ability to enhance your natural skill and improve your power and accuracy.
- Not as Durable: Some reviewers claim that, since the stick is so lightweight, it has broken on occasion after extremely rough play. Keep this in mind if you play rough.
From Warrior comes our choice for best lightweight lacrosse shaft: the Warrior Burn Pro ATK. Warrior has been creating and improving upon their shaft design since their inception almost 30 years ago. This shaft model was designed specifically for the elite player, giving you the highest quality shaft to up your game. The Burn Pro Attack Handle is the lightest shaft that has ever been produced by Warrior, so you don’t have to worry about your arms tiring out! The Minimus Carbon material gives the shaft strength while keeping it light weight. This shaft also has high flex, giving you more power behind each and every shot. Your purchase of this shaft comes with two different end caps for you to choose from. The Warp end cap is designed to give you the maximum amount of shot leverage, while the Warrior end plug is included to give you the lightest stick set up as possible. These are two awesome options allowing you to customize the stick to suit your game!
Specifications and Features:
- Made of Swizzle Scandium: This shaft is made from swizzle scandium, a lightweight material that offers three times the amount of strength as previous models.
- Control Die Shape: The control die shape is designed to ergonomically fit your hands and feel natural when you play.
- 15.3 ounces: The total weight of this shaft is 15.3 ounces, so it is light and easy to maneuver while playing fast.
- Price: Price is a huge advantage for this shaft. At less than $70, it is a great deal for the budget conscious lacrosse player.
- Multiple Color Options: This shaft is offered in a wide variety of color options, so you can match your shaft to your school colors or uniform.
- Glide Grip: The proprietary Glide Grip system places raised grip coating in the zones where your hands should be placed, naturally guiding your hands to where they should be.
- Not Extremely Lightweight: This shaft is not as lightweight as others on our list, but it is by no means unmanageable.
Our choice for the best budget defense shaft is the Brine King Swizz SC Defense Shaft. This shaft comes in at under $70, but still provides you with high quality materials and decent performance. Unlike most of the other shafts on our list, this shaft is made from swizzle scandium, a material unique to Swizz shafts that gives the stick (as reported by Swizz) three times the amount of strength than was offered in previous models. Strong, but also not a lead pipe – at 15.3 ounces total, this shaft isn’t the lightest around but will definitely not burden your game. The control die shape of the shaft fits ergonomically to your hands so that you are ready to snipe from any angle. On top of it all, we love that the Brine King Swizz SC Defense Shaft is offered in a large variety of colors so that you can match to your uniform or just choose your favorite color.
Things To Consider Before Buying Your Lacrosse Shafts
Before you begin shopping for lacrosse shafts, it is important that you consider a few things – Read on!
Differences Between Attack and Defense Lacrosse Shafts
There are basically three main categories to notice between attack and defense shafts. Each position requires different features so that their job can be done correctly. Using an attack stick for a defense position will not work, and vice versa.
The first feature to look for is length. If you are an attacker, you need a stick that is 30” in length. This shorter shaft allows for quicker movements and easier ball control. The length of a defensive player’s shaft can be anywhere from 32-60 inches long, however the longer length is typically preferred. This length gives the defensive players more shaft to work with.
The weight of the shaft is the next feature to consider. Attackers rely on quick movements and their speed, so their shafts need to be as lightweight as possible. Defensemen, on the other hand, rely more on brute strength and aggressiveness on the field to protect their players. For this reason, their sticks can be slightly heavier because the extra weight helps them defend and keeps them safe as well.
The last main category to consider is the durability of a shaft. As previously mentioned, those who play in attack positions need a lightweight stick so that they can move quickly and accurately. The durability of their stick does not need to be as high as long as the weight of it is low. This is opposite to the defense shaft. The defense shaft takes a beating, so it is of utmost importance that it is strong and durable so that it does not break during rough play. This durability should be chosen over the weight of their shaft.
Conclusion - Wrapping It All Up
By now, you should have a solid understanding of what type of shaft you should use for each lacrosse position. Make sure to consider both your position and your budget before choosing the shaft that is right for you. The right shaft will support your skills and help you be the best lacrosse player you can be.