Defense is a critical position and the benefits of being good in your own end cannot be overstated. On the flip side, being able to chip in offensively like Brent Burns or Erik Karlsson can set you apart from your peers on the blue line. Back in the day, defensemen looked mostly for sticks helping them achieve a booming slapshot, but in today’s game you might need a bit more versatility. Based on the ever changing game, our top stick for defensemen is the Bauer Supreme ADV. This might surprise you considering it is a low kick point stick, but read on below for our reasoning and other sticks that may suit your style of play!
A completely new design from Bauer with a lower kick point for lightning fast release, whether its through a screen from the point, or as you glide coast to coast to go bar down!
In today’s NHL defensemen are no longer the one trick pony they may have once been when it comes to scoring. Spend time watching offensive wizard Brent Burns man the powerplay and you will see a majority of his goals and shots are from off balance flicks of the wrist that catch everyone on the ice off guard. Conversely, players such as Erik Karlsson who have a penchant for burning down the wing, also utilizes a lightning fast wrist or snap shot for many of his goals. If you are more of a modern style, puck moving defenseman, the Bauer Supreme ADV may be the best choice for you. Bauer has totally re-designed the Supreme lineup so it has way better flexibility for quick snap shots, while maintaining that patented Supreme slap shot power for big one timers!
If you are the type of defenseman who plays some power play, some regular strength, and maybe even penalty kill, maybe the swiss army knife of sticks is the best choice for you. With two shot loading zones, the Super Tacks AS2 allows you to quickly load up wrist and snap shots, as well as really lean into big slapshots or one timers!
The Versatile Choice
The Alpha DX slots in as Warrior’s new top Alpha lineup stick, and with a low kickpoint (not as low as the Fantom) it will give you fantastic quick releases from the blue line
Warrior’s Alpha lineup takes a bit of a back seat to the Covert lineup this year, with the Fantom QRE being the light weight super low kick stick, and the Alpha DX being the slightly more affordable, more versatile choice. Still featuring a low kick point, and coming in at a very light 395 grams, this stick delivers top of the line performance while saving you nearly $100 compared to our other choices!
Our Research And Findings
We have hand picked several sticks from all the top brands like CCM, Bauer, and Warrior to help you go bar down from the blue line! You really can’t go wrong choosing any of the hockey sticks we are going to review as they are all high quality, but each one is tailored to a slightly different style of player and we want you to pick the best hockey stick for your game.
The Best Hockey Sticks For Defensemen
1. Bauer Supreme ADV
Specifications and Features:
- FastCore – Bauer has incorporated a pressurized gel core in the blade of the stick that remains in a liquid state, improving shot power and reducing micro fractures in the blade. Watch the video below to get a up close look at RenewCore.
- New Lower Kick Point – Bauer took the Supreme lineup back to the drawing board and has outfitted it with a new, lower kick point for explosive snapshots and wristshots
- Advanced Carbon Layering – You can’t make a new stick without trying to take a step forward in durability, and Bauer has done just that with a new Carbon Fiber system to help this stick last longer
- Uncompromising Feel – The FastCore is really a revolutionary technology that hasn’t been seen in Bauer hockey sticks. This makes an incredible difference in creating a soft feel when handling the puck while also further enhancing the energy transferred to the puck when taking a shot.
- Improved Blade Durability – While the RenewCore provides a softer feel, the pressurized gel core also works to seal cracks and defects in the blade through prolonged use. This makes an incredible difference as standard blades typically grow weaker after use, the RenewCore prevents this weakening.
- Booming One-Timers – The Supreme lineup now has a lower kickpoint, allowing you to get quick, deceptive one timers off in record time
- Lightweight Feel – The Supreme lineup now challenges the Vapor lineup for being Bauer’s most lightweight stick – The Supreme ADV weighs in at an insanely light 375 grams
- Quick Release – If you have played Supreme sticks for a long time, this new lower kick point will take some getting used to. However in the end we believe it will benefit your game as all sticks are trending to lower kick points for faster releases.
This is the stick of choice for players that utilize alot of one timers or cross ice shots. I really loved how the FastCore technology helped in improving the feel of the stick and maximizing the energy transferred to the puck. You really can’t go wrong in choosing this Bauer hockey stick, it has been getting rave reviews since its debut.
2. CCM Super Tacks AS2 Pro
Specifications and Features:
- Sigmatex – This is a new feature by CCM which is a proprietary spread tow composite fabric that is extremely lightweight and exceptionally strong as it does not wrinkle during manufacturing.
- Mid-Kick Point – The standard Mid-Kick point has been revolutionized with two optimized loading zones for wrist shots and slap shots.
- ACU4 XX-Stiff Blade – The new CCM blade is extremely stiff and has also been reinforced with the Sigmatex technology for added durability.
- Reinforced Bumper Technology – This new technology has increased the strength of the shaft and also added extra material in the areas where you are most likely to get slashed, increasing the durability.
- Balanced Performance – With the mid kickpoint and the new sub loading zones, this stick provides players with the flexibility of a quick release or a booming snapshot. This stick is perfect for both skilled forwards and power D-men.
- Increased Durability – I have always found the CCM sticks to be extremely durable, and the changes made to this model have only enhanced my opinion. The added material in the slash zone and the Sigmatex leave you extremely satisfied with the strength of the stick.
- Soft Feel – The CCM Sigmatex enforced blade has really optimized the feel of the puck especially in tight areas. The blade has a little less flex than other sticks so you get a solid feel for the puck that is consistent from the day you buy it.
- Incredibly Balanced – The manufacturing by CCM is really second to none when it comes to the balance of the stick. Even with the re-enforced slash zone, this stick doesn’t feel bottom heavy at all. The uniform balance of the stick allows you to have amazing feel and a hard shot.
- Weight – This stick weighs a little bit more (coming in at 410 grams) than the Alpha DX and Supreme ADV, but this difference is negligible when you have the stick in your hands and on ice.
CCM has been a staple hockey brand for decades and this stick proves why, being one of the best in terms of durability and balanced performance. The mid kick point doesn’t favor any shot in particular, but allows you to do both exceptionally well with serious power. The stronger material and stiffer blade really increase the life of this stick which is a huge advantage for those of us who don’t get our sticks for free (We’re still waiting for a call back from the pros here as well…)
3. Warrior Alpha DX
Specifications and Features:
- Low Kick Point – This feature results in quicker loading of your shot, which results in a faster and more explosive release from your stick.
- Saber Taper – Warrior has used the Saber Taper as a way to maintain the torsional stiffness of your shaft before and after you release your shot, improving accuracy and bar down capability.
- True 1 Phantom Feel – Warrior has reengineered the shaft of the stick to create their lightest and strongest one piece stick ever.
- Minimus Carbon 1400 – A high strength and lightweight carbon-composite weave design that enhances the overall construction of the stick, and allows it to weigh in at a feather light 410 grams.
- Precision Accuracy – The Saber Taper really makes an impact on the accuracy of your shot with the Warrior Alpha DX stick. The low kick point already gives you a quick release and the new taper gives your blade more stability on the quick shots.
- Responsive Feel – Warrior has made this their lightest one piece stick ever and they have also redesigned the shaft using more ergonomic features. Warrior calls this new stick blade geometry their ‘Ergo shaft’ and it really feels great in your hands
- Superior Durability – The Alpha DX really stepped it up in regards to durability. We felt last years model had some room for improvement in this department but Warrior has definitely addressed this with their Alpha DX stick. The new Minimus Carbon 1400 makes this stick feel a bit sturdier even though its lighter than previous models.
- Heavy Shot – When I was using the Alpha DX stick, I felt like a got a little bit more on my snap shots and slap shots. The shaft is a bit stiffer and you can definitely the increased power this stick has when you lean into a shot.
- Increased Blade Pop – The new Fuelcore blade has some extreme pop to it – I’d recommend working this thing in over a few practices before jumping into a game as your shot might need a tiny bit of time to get accustomed.
Improving over last year’s awesome Alpha QX was no small feat, but Warrior has managed to make some minor improvements, all while bring the price point down as well. This stick is affordable, higher performing, and durable. Exactly what every defensemen needs!
There is no right or wrong answer in choosing any one of these sticks, all that matters is what they will do to your game. We want you to choose high performance equipment that will make sure you achieve your full potential every time you’re on the ice. For me, that stick is the Warrior Alpha QX as I love the low kick point for lightning quick releases, which I think translate very well to today’s faster game. Let us know your thoughts on these sticks and if there are any you’d like to see us do a write up on in the future!